Travel Bug

Exploration takes a turn.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

International Relations Part Why Me?

Me being successful as a Fulbright scholar:
So, I am completely ill. SO sick, and no dayquil. I want to die. The other day I slept for six hours in the middle of the day (totally erasing my "Jet lag is SO last season"), and my host mom/landlord came home and asked if I needed doctor. When I said no, she said, "then you eat." Then I said... um... Jenna sick. no eat. And she said "no eat doctor. no doctor eat." Then she made me eat buerek, which is bready oily fetaey parsleyey pastry stuff.

Burek Recipe: 1 pan phyllo dough, 6 oz crumbled feta, 4 oz creamed cheese, 1 beaten egg, 2 T fresh parsley, 1 T fresh dill, 1/2 cup better, 1 cup olive or grape oil. Eat repeatedly. Retreat to bathroom.

I thought I was going to puke all night. Then we had it for breakfast. And again for lunch. Also, at dinner she told me that both "um" and "sick" are "no say" in Turkish.

I looked them up, and "um" is an expletive for the female genitalia, and "sick" is the same, but for males. Thanks, Redhouse dictionary, for the specific translations.

So to recap:
Kind Turkish host mother: "You bad? You hasta [which I now know means ill]?"
Jenna: "&$#%& Jenna &%&&$@#"

Dear Fulbright,
Thanks again for the investment in my visit here to improve American-Turkish relations. About that, you're welcome.
love, Jenna

8 Comments:

  • At 5:17 PM , Blogger kristi noser said...

    Who would think that sick and um would be so um, SICK!
    How's it going Jenna?

     
  • At 2:09 PM , Blogger AdamB said...

    it's exactly like that Monty Python episode where the guy is distributing fake Polish-English phrasebooks! but real!

    "My nipples are exploding with delight?"

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    update.

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes. Please post more....it's been awhile.

     
  • At 11:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you so much for that I don't remember when I laughed so hard.

     
  • At 12:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    jenna you should really update when you get the chance! love you
    aimee

     
  • At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You are a horrible blogger...wasn't there an email sent out about a century ago promising at least occasional updates on said blog, as a way to get around the emails? Luckily, you've already conditioned me for this kind of abject ignoration/disappointment. That said, in the next month or so, you may be getting a post card. perhaps a postcard glorifying all the wonderousness of Notre Dame.

     
  • At 9:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    i realize i am about 7 months late in reading this post, but that didnt stop me from losing bladder control reading this...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home